Method Statement for Marble Stone Installation, White Marble Stone, Stone Marble Granite, Marble Floor Tile Installation. How to Install Marble Flooring?
This method statement for marble stone installation applies to the following:
- Marble Stone Flooring.
- Marble Stair Treads and Risers.
- Marble Bases.
- Marble Threshold.
Materials for Application of marble stone:
- Marble Flooring, Locally Made.
- Marble Flooring Sylvia Light.
- Marble Flooring Sylvia Medium Light.
- Marble Flooring Sylvia Medium.
- Stair marble Sylvia Light.
- Sand bed.
- Sand Cement Mortar Mix, 1:3-4 by volume.
A. Preparation of marble stone:
- Sand beds under floor tiles are spread and compacted manually to obtain uniform depth and distribution. Remove stones and foreign materials, and finally, lightly rinse with water.
- Clean stone surfaces that have become dirty or stained by removing soil, stains, and foreign materials before setting. Clean the stone thoroughly by scrubbing it with fiber brushes and then drenching it with clean water.
- Examine concrete surfaces of stairs, flooring, base, and threshold for compliance with the requirements for installation tolerances and other conditions affecting the performance of the stone finish of stairs. Proceed to installation if satisfactory conditions have been achieved.
B. Tolerances of Marble Stone:
- For position shown in the plan for edges of steps, changes in color or finish, and continuous joint lines, not to exceed 3 mm in 2400 mm, 6 mm in 6 m, or 10 mm maximum.
- Do not exceed 3 mm in 3 m, 6 mm in 6 m, or 10 mm maximum from the level or slope indicated for surface plane flooring.
- Joint thickness shall not vary more than 1.5 mm or one-fourth of the nominal joint whichever is less.
- Between planes and adjacent units it shall not exceed 0.8 mm.
C. Marble Stone Installation:
a.) Execute flooring installation by skilled fixers and do the necessary cutting at the site.
b.) Produce lines cut straight and true, with edges eased slightly to prevent stripping. Use power saws.
c.) Set stone to comply with drawings and shop drawings. Match for color and pattern by using units numbered in sequences as indicated.
d.) Produce lines cut straight and true, with edges eased slightly to joints.
e.) Produce lines cut straight and true, with edges eased slightly to standard specification referred for installation of stone paving and flooring.
f.) Locate and install expansion joints according to requirements of standard specification referred for installation of stone paving and flooring.
a.) Marble flooring shall be set with thick wet mortar bedding on sand bedding with a thickness of 25-30 mm.
b.) Each stone shall be carefully set into the level and line required, and shall be beaten along the full surface area to ensure the firm setting and full contact between mortar and the back surface of the stone.
c.) Tamp and beat the stone with a wooden block or rubber mallet to obtain full contact with the setting bed and bring finished surfaces within tolerances.
a.) Saturate with clean water for several hours before placing the setting bed. Remove surface water one hour before placing the setting bed.
b.) Apply cement paste slush coat over the surface of the concrete about 15 minutes before placing the setting bed. Limit the area of the slush coat to avoid drying out before placing the setting bed, the slush coat cement paste shall not exceed 1.5 mm.
c.) Apply mortar setting bed over cement-paste slush coat immediately after slush coat has been applied. Spread and screed setting bed to uniform thickness at sub-grade elevations required for accurate setting of stone to finish grade as indicated.
d.) Place the stone before an initial set of cement occurs. Do not install one tread until the riser of the preceding step has been set and the mortar bedding suitably hardened.
e.) Tamp and beat stone with a wooden block or rubber mallet to obtain full contact with the setting bed and to bring finished surfaces within tolerances.
f.) Set each unit in a single operation before an initial set of mortar, do not return to the areas already set and disturbed stone for purposes of realigning finished surfaces or adjusting joints. Finish stair tread perfectly plumbed as to lines indicated.
g.) Tool joints are flat, uniform, and smooth without visible voids.
a.) Set risers to line proceeding tread, provide top-level edge and 25 mm clearance between the back of the riser and face of the concrete step riser.
b.) Fix temporarily in place with gypsum dots and fill back clearance with cement and sand grout mixed with sufficient water to obtain pourable consistency. The ratio of cement to sand must be 400 kg of ordinary Portland cement to 1 m3 sand.
a.) Bed marble bases in thick mortar approximately 10 mm thick and install directly to masonry wall coated with plaster dash coat.
b.) Refer to the plans for the details on indicated drawings.
c.) The exterior and interior corners must be mitered at 45º.
d.) Grout joints, including joints with flooring with the same pointing mortar used in floors.
a.) At locations adjacent to marble flooring, install stone threshold in the same type of setting bed as abutting stone flooring.
b.) Set the threshold in thin set, latex-Portland cement mortar at locations where the mortar bed would otherwise be exposed above other adjacent flooring.
c.) At locations not adjacent to stone flooring, cut back and discard any setting bed material from the other finish side and leave the mortar surface uniform with the surface of the threshold.
- Adjusting, Cleaning, and Protection
a.) Remove and replace marbles that are broken, damaged, stained, defective joints, stone paving, and flooring that are not complying with other requirements indicated.
b.) Apply sealer to cleaned marble stone flooring according to the sealer manufacturer’s written instructions.
c.) Prohibit traffic from the installed marble stone for at least 72 hours.
Download the PDF version of this article to share with your colleagues
Tag:Marble Bases, Marble Flooring, marble installation, Marble Stair Treads and Risers, marble stone, marble stone installation, Marble Threshold, method of statement, method of statement for marble stone installation, method statement, placing setting, setting bed, slush coat, stone flooring, stone installation