Productivity rates in construction projects refer to the measure of how efficiently and effectively resources such as labor, equipment, and materials, are utilized to complete the work within a specific timeframe.
It is the number that identifies the volume of work that can be done by certain working hours or crews, It indicates the amount of output or work accomplished per unit of input or resources used.
The most common way to express productivity rates in construction is by using ratios or units of measurement, such as:
- Labor Productivity: It measures the amount of work completed per unit of labor time, typically expressed as labor hours per unit of work (e.g., labor hours per square foot, labor hours per meter of pipe installed).
- Equipment Productivity: This measures the amount of work completed per unit of equipment usage, such as equipment hours per unit of work or equipment hours per ton of materials moved.
- Material Productivity: It quantifies the amount of work completed per unit of material used, like the number of units constructed per ton of concrete or square meter of lumber.
How to Calculate Productivity Rates
This painter can paint 20 square meters per day (8 working hours).
- 5 square meters per hour = 20/8 m2/h
- 4 hour per square meter = 8/20 h/m2
Important note: Please always check the productivity if it is unit per hour or hour per unit.
From where you can get productivity rates?
- Historical Data
- From your company’s previous projects.
- Same project as earlier activities.
- Expert judgment
- Project Manager.
- Construction Manager.
- Site Engineer.
- Productivity Software
- Productivity by Activity.
- Activity information and Details.
- Productivity by BOQ Item.
Click here to download our Productivity Software
1- Productivity by Activity.
Just choose the division of work and it will view all activities related to this division and its productivity and the used labor.
2- Productivity by BOQ Item.
Choose the division of work then choose the subdivision, you can also filter with the unit ( Linear Meter or Square meter ).
3- Activity Information and Details.
Just choose the division of work and it will give you a brief about the activity, or you can search by the activity name.
Download the PDF version of this Article to share with your colleagues
Tag:construction man hours productivity, Construction Productivity, construction productivity rates, how to calculate production rate in construction, how to calculate productivity rate in construction, manpower productivity in construction, productivity rate, productivity rate formula in construction, standard productivity rates in construction