“Effective project management is not the product of a rigid or fixed set of steps and processes to be followed on every project. Rather the choice of project management approach is based on having done due diligence on the project specifics and defined an approach that makes sense.” (Wysocki, 2012, Effective project management. 6th edn)
During my 10+ years working on the construction projects, i always believed that projects could be improved by applying better project management techniques and reduce reworks. In this post i am going to share with you my proposal, how to combined the power of computers with project management knowledge to create a workable project management solutions.
My main concept is to create a project database which receive the information from different parties, reorganize it, and show it other participates in order to use and add. Imagine that the site engineer is doing his daily report, and the database combined these reports from different engineers and produce it in the form of weekly report for planning engineers, payment certificates for Q.S and daily manpower sheets for site admin.
I divided my presentation below into the following sections:
A- Concept of Projects Management Plan
- Combine individuals experiences and computer power into a workable plan.
- Eliminate Non-Value-Added Works.
- Predefine the procedures for each stage on the project.
- Create a database for each project to record all project information.
- Reuse the information inside the project database.
- Evaluate projects based on Key Performance Indicators (KPI).
- Share and control the information between different projects.
B- Benefits of Projects Management Plan
- Reduced projects direct cost (Avoid Rework).
- Reduce projects indirect cost (Less Staff & More Productivity).
- Reduce projects risks (Planning & Monitoring = Proactive Actions).
- Keep Senior Management Informed about projects status (KPI).
- Ensure client satisfaction (Projects Finished on Time and as per SPECS).
- Better management of company shared resources between projects.
- Ability to expand the number of ongoing projects.
C- Requirements of Projects Management Plan
- Dedicated planning and controlling team.
- Dedicated IT team to fulfill planning database requirements.
- Senior Management Full Support.
- 3 to 6 months full time work.
D-How it will work.
- Planning team and database expert(s) decide the suitable database (Oracle, Access … etc.)
- Planning team communicate with different departments and individuals on the company to collect requirements .
- Planning team prepare forms to IT team in order to start programming.
- IT & planning create the system together.
- Planning get the feedback from different departments and individuals and forward any modifications to IT.
- Create a virtual environment for testing purpose to ensure that the system is working perfectly.
- Prepare training materials for whoever will use the new system.
- Apply the new system, get feed back and develop it as per the best benefit of the project.
I am working hard, hope that one day i will be able to apply my proposal. You are welcome to comment and share me your opinion.
Play the Presentation