Copying activity codes from one project to another in Primavera P6 can be a useful way to maintain consistency and standardization across multiple projects. Here are the steps to copy activity codes from one project to another:
1. Open both projects
- Open the project to which you want to copy the activity codes. You can open multiple projects simultaneously in Primavera P6.
The two projects
2. Display activity codes
- In both projects, make sure that the activity codes are displayed in the “activities” window. You can do this by going to View > Columns and selecting the activity codes you want to copy.
3. Select the activity codes
- In the project from which you want to copy the activity codes, select the specific activity codes you want to copy.
- From “Enterprise” choose “Activity Codes”.
Click on “Modify”.
This shows that one of the two projects has activity codes.
Now, you can add new activity codes in the second project.
The new activity codes.
Then, close this window.
4. Copy the activity codes
- These are all activity codes for both the two projects.
- Right-click on the selected activity codes, and from the context menu, choose Copy.
5. Switch to the targeted project
- Click on the tab for the project where you want to paste the activity codes to switch to that project.
6. Paste the activity codes
- In the targeted project, right-click on the column header for the activity codes where you want to paste the codes, and from the context menu, choose Paste.
7. Review and adjust
- After pasting the activity codes, review them to ensure that they have been copied correctly. Sometimes, you might need to make adjustments if there are conflicts or differences between the source and target projects.
8. Save the targeted project
- Once you are satisfied with the copied activity codes, save the target project to ensure that the changes are retained.
9. Refresh or recalculate
- Depending on your project settings and the specific version of Primavera P6 you are using, you might need to refresh or recalculate the project to ensure that the copied activity codes are properly updated and integrated into the project.
10. Verify the results
- Double-check your target project to make sure that the copied activity codes are correctly applied to the activities.
Close all the projects to open the project with new activity codes.
Then, open the targeted project to see the activity codes copied.
Then, you will find the activity codes.
Remember to exercise caution when copying and pasting activity codes, as it can affect project data and organization. Always make sure you have backups of your projects before making significant changes. Additionally, the exact steps and options may vary slightly depending on the version of Primavera P6 you are using, so refer to the user documentation for your specific version if needed.
Also, make sure that the copied activity codes are in “Project” not “Global”. So, you won’t have any problems while importing and exporting.
Download the PDF version of this Article to share with your colleagues